Highlights from my first Labor and Delivery trip:
* The doctor sent me into L & D because I was having sharp pain in my lower abdomen which turned out to be contractions every 6 minutes....who knew! Didn't feel like a contraction to me.
* They had me walk around the hospital for an hour to see if things would progress. My contractions did but I didn't dilate further so they gave me some drugs to sleep and sent me home saying they'd see me back in 4-24 hours. It has now been about 60 hours and I'm still contracting every 5 minutes but making no progress.
* I have decided that I am more likely to end up in the psych ward than in labor and delivery again.
Good news from the doctor yesterday:
(Yes, this is me being very, very sarcastic...it's my survival technique.)
* I have not one but two placental lobes.
* I wont be induced til at the earliest next Wednesday. Last time I checked my calender that was still 6 days away. I'm currently contemplating flying back to Utah where my doctor promised me I would have delivered 7 days ago.
* My baby has "probably" gained about 2 pounds. So what--now we are up to 15 pounds?!? No problem! What's another 2 pounds?!? I should probably just return all my newborn clothes and go for the 3-6 months.
* Natural redheads tend to bleed and hemorrhage the most.
....awesome! I'm so glad you shared that bit of information with me.
Bryan has me on a strict walking schedule. All it does is inflict useless pain. I no longer find my husbands jokes funny and whenever anyone asks me about how I am feeling I instantly start crying. Like I said, I think I have bought myself a one way ticket to the psych ward. Gosh, I can't even imagine what I am going to be like by Wednesday. Scary.
...AND yes, I know I am a big drama queen. My doctor also told me this was allowed. I'm so grateful for his permission.
I think I need to go pray for patience.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Aww Ashley! You're hilarious...and going to get through this! Go find a scrapbook or something, premake thank you cards...anything to get your mind off of all this! Good luck!
As a woman who made it through going ten days over and a c-section I am telling you that you will get through it... and I think you should be given permission to slap anyone who asks you how you're doing. Women who have babies early have NO idea how hard it is... and men just don't get it.
And no worries. you aren't being pessimistic. I think it would be so hard to hear one school of thought in Utah and then to be told something very different in CA. So frustrating. No worries, your little darling will be here before you know it and all will be forgotten.
oh man, hang in there! hopefully time will fly by and who knows, maybe you've already had the baby! and trav's jokes were NOT funny to me when i was in labor either. there's just no humor in contractions :)
I love the sarcasm--sometimes it's all that gets you through.
Post a Comment