Friday, May 09, 2008

Burp Cloths!

My mother in law taught me how to make these adorable burp cloths. I'm pretty excited about my new found domestic abilities. :) Bry came with me to the fabric store and we picked out all these cute patterns and colors to match the baby's little outfits. We've made 8 so far and now I'm working on some receiving blankets. (Please ignore the swollen face).



I had another doctors appointment yesterday which proved to be a little frustrating. My doctors in Utah had told me that because I have gestational diabetes they would probably not let me go passed 39 weeks and definitely not passed my due date because of the risk of delivery a large baby. Well, like I wrote last time I've actually been measuring about 3 weeks small, so at my appointment yesterday they did an ultra sound. If he was 5 pounds (which is what the doctor was thinking) they were possible going to induce me today because they were worried about him thriving. Turns out the baby is anything but small! He is totally hiden and already weighing in at 7 1/2 pounds!!!!!!! So in my head I'm thinking...well I guess the diabetes is effecting him and I can plan on being delivered around my due date at the latest. Apparently doctors here don't hold the same policy as Utah's doctors. This doctor said there was no way he'd induce me before 41 weeks. This sent me into a major panic! I am so not okay with delivering a 10 pound baby...is that even possible for me?!?!? His logic makes zero sense...

He says that first time mothers that are induced are 6 times more likely to deliver by c-section. Fair enough. BUT HELLO my other doctor said that small moms that have diabetes and who's children get above 8 pounds are way more likely to have c-sections. Please explain that one to me. I wasn't a very happy camper last night. This discussion is NOT over! Okay and I act all big and tough on my blog but at the actually appointment I was ready to cry like a little baby. I'm making Bry go with me to my next appt...he is the tough one. :)

9 comments:

kristen said...

gay! take bry with you and work those lawyer persuasion skills. can't it kind of be up to you anyways? and that "statistic" he gave you... well i'm no dr. but i beg to differ!! i'm sorry!

Jen R. said...

You can ask if he'll at least strip your membranes...it hurts like a fricken mother, but if it helps get that baby out! What else have i heard...swinging, nipple stimulation :) some kind of oil, long walks, spicy food... or you should ask around and see if anyone knows a doctor that will induce!

Heather said...

Hello!! I am so excited for you guys! It's coming up so soon. I am ready for you to come back though. I can't wait to see your baby! I am very impressed with your homemaking skills. I've got to develop some hobbies. I am dying about the sheep shearing. Seriously, how crazy. I am so sad that I missed your shower, it looked like so much fun. Anyway, we wish you guys the best and I'm so thankful that I can keep tabs on you guys while you're gone!

kami said...

way cute! okay and yeah i'd be frustrated too! hopefully you can get things moving along or hopefully you can make your doctor let you go early! the end of pregnancy is no fun...but don't worry, your face doesn't look that swollen, though i know what you mean...i have pictures of me from the end that i felt were hideous because i was retaining so much water. don't worry - it'll go away a few days after you have him! until then...hang in there!

benandkiki said...

hey, It's always depressing to have have news like that. My mom is a tiny lady 5'2" 105 lbs. She had gestational diabetes with me and my brother. We were both big babies but she was able to have us naturally. Try not to worry to much. In a few weeks when you're holding your little baby it will be worth it no matter what the process.

Heather Dayton said...

Oh my gosh Ashley! I'm seriously freaking out for you - so is Betsy. I was gone this whole weekend, so I just barely read this today. How awful! I can't believe your doctor - ridiculous! I'm soooo sorry. I hope that you just go into labor naturally within the next few days. Linda said that drinking castor oil usually works - but it's pretty rough on your system. Anyway - good luck, and I really am sorry.

SuzyO said...

Bummer!

Is it too late to go to a new doctor?

I'll pray that the baby isn't too big!

Keep us posted!

adam and andrea said...

I love your sweet sewing skills!! Very impressive - they are so adorable!! You look great - not puffy!! You're almost there - I can't wait to see pictures of the little guy, you're in our prayers! Love you!

Katie said...

Those burp cloths are so cute! I am impressed that Bryan went to the fabric store with you!
Good Luck with the Doctor thing.. I am one of those statistics with the induced C-section... I am sure it will all work out!