Monday, June 02, 2008

Mommy's Joy

So much has changed this past week I'm not even sure where to begin. Mostly the biggest change is the amount of love and joy that has filled our lives. I knew I would love this little boy but I had no idea how much. The second they put Caden in my arms I was so overwhelmed with love for him and it just grows every day. I think the reason I am most sleep deprived is because I cannot stop starring at our little boy. Being a mom is everything I had hoped...it is incredible and life altering and I truly feel so, so blessed to be his mommy.


After only 14 hours of labor he was here! Labor was not what I expected at all. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done. After I got to the hospital they broke my water and I started into labor on my own. Since I wasn't progressing as quickly as the doctor would have liked they started me on the pitocin. When the contractions started to hurt I got my epidural and was in heaven. I thought things were going to be a breeze after that. For about 6 hours they were. Then for a reason unknown to my anesthesialogist the epidural quit working. I could tell she was frusterated because she had no idea what was going wrong. She tried everything to fix it; she gave me different drugs to try and take away the pain but nothing was working. The next 6 hours of labor were quite an "experience" and the actual delivery was the worst pain I've ever imagined, but after all of that I would do it again in a heart beat (and will!) because I love this little boy beyond what I imagined possible. I am seriously already excited to have another baby because it is such an amazing miracle. True to Bryan's character, he kept me laughing even after labor. Much to my surprise in the middle of labor when the nurse asked if Bryan would be cutting the cord he said sure. As soon as the baby was out he looks at the doctor and says, "You can go ahead and cut that." The doctor asks if he's sure. "Oh yeah...I'm sure." And I'm sure you can hear his tone. Caden has the cutest pouty face right before he cries. He had it mastered minutes after he was born. We love it! Also in the picture note what Bryan is wearing. Yes, while I started pushing my husband disappeared...only to come back, three pushes later, in his white collared shirt with his hair done. I thought I was going to kill him. Luckily for him I wasn't able to move and pain makes you forget easily. Although--he will never, ever live that one down. The entire time we were at the hospital I just held him. I couldn't stand the thought of putting him in the nursery. I remember one of my friends saying how she hated the thought of how quickly they'd grow up and her baby was like a week old (I laughed then)...but now I get exactly what she meant. I feel like every day he changes and I don't want to miss any of it. He wasn't a fan of the light when the nurses would come into our room in the middle of the night. We thougth it was cute. :)Like father, like son....while he was sleeping he put his blanket over his face to block the light. Bryan sleeps with a pillow over his head to do the same thing.
I loved the Sutter Roseville Hospital that I delivered at. The nurses were awesome. The ones that helped with delivery even came back up to mother/baby to check on us. It was such a good experience; I didn't want to leave. Plus being waited on hand and foot was pretty nice after labor. Getting ready to head home. He looked pretty little in his carseat. When I look at him I still can't believe he is ours forever. It's pretty overwhelming.
Our first day home with Caden. He is seriously such an angel. I feel so lucky to have such a good baby. He only cries when he is naked or starving. He sleeps perfectly and has such a good temperment. My sister in law said to me the other day, "I don't think I have heard this kid cry since the day you got home." Bryan and I keep looking at eachother saying this is too good to be true. He's pretty dang amazing....you can tell we are proud parents. :) Our little angel sleeper.
He is always playing with his hands. Like I said...I just watch him for hours.
After his first bath. He's got steel blue eyes that we think are adorable!
Hehe. Today we went through 4 outfits...and I kept getting this face when I'd change him. Love it.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers for our little family! Everything is going wonderfully--we feel so blessed and love this little guy so much. I'll try and post more pictures sooner than later--life has just all the sudden gotten very busy. Love you all!!

13 comments:

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

Oh, I love all of the pictures! He is just so adorable. And can I say how jealous I am at how good he has been?! Lily was such a crier--she was sleeping like 18 hours a day, but never at night. I was the same, though--you just can't take your eyes off of them. I couldn't stop kissing her head (still can't). I love how cute they look in their little hospital carts all bundled up. I'm glad you're doing so well after the delivery--what a story! I'll have to email you later. Congratulations!

adam and andrea said...

You look great Ash! Caden is so adorable! Love the pictures and the post!

kristen said...

oh you know i love all the pictures! thanks for posting. such an adorable family you THREE make! and i'm so jealous of your little sleeper...but so happy for you!!

Jenna and Steve said...

Those are the cutest pictures. I love that bryan left to change! I have this feeling that steve is going to be outside on his computer until our future children arrive. I don't know which one is worst. Congrats you guys!

Melany said...

hi ashley, this is melany larsen (i married weston's brother, paul) - we met a couple of times...anyway, congratulations!! i love all those pix - i'm so excited for our own baby pics - only 3 more months! your blog link was on wes and tami's page and it's been fun reading other people's pregnancy blogs and comparing it with my own. :) that stinks about the epidural - but now it's all over and you have the best victory prize! :)

Heather Dayton said...

How Adorable! I'm SO excited for all three of you! It's been so nice to be able to see all of the pictures of Caden since you guys are so far away now. I hope that you are recovering well from labor (I'm getting soooo nervous about it...)

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

Congrats! He is so sweet! Can't wait to share the joy when our little one arrives!

kami said...

he is soooo cute! i'm glad he's a good baby too...that makes life so nice, especially right now! i hope he keeps it up. and you're right. they do grow up so fast! i think that's why i take about a billion pictures of max a day...he just changes every second! enjoy this new experience! you look great by the way!

*katie said...

He is so beautiful and you look fantastic. I can't believe you made it through the last 6 hours without the epidural...I would have died!!!

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks for sharing the story with all of us! The photos are absolutely precious. Congratulations on this wonderful addition to your family. He is adorable! :o)

Kelli and Dana said...

YOU HAD THE BABY!!! Congrats! Glad everything worked out--isn't it funny that it does that:) He is so cute, Ashley. Congrats!

Sofia Dowse said...

Congratulations you three! Caden is such a beautiful little boy. We are so happy for you guys!

Kimberlee said...

I love the pictures! He is adorable! You already sound like a pro at this mom thing! I couldn't be happier for you guys! Seriously! And I'm SOO glad you had him before the insurance ran out!!! I know exactly what that is like!!