Friday, June 20, 2008

Thoughts

In two weeks I'm turning 25. Is that even possible?!? Life goes too fast. I feel anything but old enough to be a wife and a mother, making huge decisions that will effect the rest of my life and my family's life. This week it has really hit me that I am "growing up." Bryan and I have been talking a great deal about our future plans. Law school is a little different than other advanced degrees in that the internship you get your second year usually turns into where you start your career the years after. We have to start applying for that second year internship already this summer. Yes, I ALREADY have to know where I want to spend the next chapter (5+ years) of my life when I feel like we just barely decided on staying at BYU for Law School. This place we decide on now will be where Bryan works his first job, where we buy our first home, where my baby starts school, where our family continues to grow. This is a HUGE decision. We have to look into possible income amounts, housing prices, tax prices, education systems, the strength of the church, distance from family, medical centers, and on and on and on. We are looking EVERYWHERE: Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, South Carolina, Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, California, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Georgia, Tennessee.

I have my pro/con lists and my charts with all the different numbers. Unfortunately, those charts cannot help me with one of my greatest concerns. There were times growing up in Wisconsin that I truly loved, but there were other things that were extremely difficult and challenging. The frozen tundra weather aside, the main challenge was being LDS in a community where our family stood alone. Since this was such a struggle for me and my siblings it is a huge issue for me to not put my own children in that same situation. At the same time, I made amazing friends in Wisconsin; I had a chance to really have my faith tested and learn on my own what I known to be true. So my question is where is the happy medium?!? I grew up where I was the only one; My cousin's grew up in Orem where they didn't even know other religions existed. I don't necessarily want either of those situations. I assume the church is generally pretty strong near larger cities. Basically Bryan and I haven't lived enough other places to know what the church is like outside our comfort zone states.

Any thoughts?!? They are more than welcome!

The plus of "growing up" and almost being 25 is that I'm not naive enough to think that you can't be happy no matter where you live. I know happiness is a choice; I just think that choice is easier when you are in a city that feels like home! :)

11 comments:

Melissa said...

You aren't looking everywhere! I didn't see Seattle on your list! Actually, home prices here are insane, so it may not be the best place to start out! Having recently left our little Orem bubble, I'd say there are definitely things I miss! If I could do it over again, I would be sure to settle in a community with lots of young families, even if that meant renting for a year or so. Our ward is beginning to change, but it has been really hard for me to find a niche because when we moved here I was one of only a handful of young mothers. I felt stuck being friends with people whose kids were close to Maddie's age! And I didn't click with any of those mothers!
I'm on the same page as you on strength of the church in an area. We're in a perfect balance, there are enough members to sustain our ward but not so many that I don't branch out.
Personally, I'd move to Allen, Texas (close to Dallas) if I were you. Where I grew up. Young community, 5 wards and a new Stake, I graduated with 12 members and still had tons of friends of other faiths!
You'll make a decision that will help you learn and grow, whatever the outcome! Good luck!

Jenna and Steve said...

Uh...Is it really a question? You guys said San Francisco to us and I am holding you guys to that!

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

Oh Ash, I know only too well what you mean--I've had so many of the same things on my mind. It's difficult trying to weigh so many variables that determine what and where will be best for your family. Neither of us want to stay long term in Michigan, and if it were up to me, I would move back to Utah tomorrow, but that's because all of my family is there and I've always wanted to be close to them. But that isn't really an option for us right now. Adam is looking at schools to get his MBA and after that, who knows where we will be. We've had a few families move into our tiny ward lately, but tons of them are moving out, and it really is a strain on the programs for kids--scouts, activity days, YM, YW--when there's only 1 or 2 kids, the allure just isn't as great, so I would suggest trying to find an area where the church isn't so sparse. In spite of that, I absolutely love the people in my ward and have made so many friends--because it's so small, you get to know the people so much better. So that kind of goes against what I just said--great help I am, huh? Once you narrow down your options, I'm sure you'll know what is best. Good luck!

Janelle said...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never once had it on my mind where I want to live for possibly the rest of my life or where Keith's legal career is best or where I'll raise a family. I've never made a million pro/cons lists or compared or contrasted cities down to the smallest details. OH WAIT! I'VE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS! Hahaha! All I can say is be patient and prayerful and let time do it's thing and I promise you'll figure it out. We did! (Details to come...) Can't wait to find out where you choose!
Love you!
Janelle

Stephanie said...

hola ashley!! Man, those are some big choices which i know i'll have to make someday too! I feel lucky enough to have grown up in a town with a really good medium and I loved it. I know that there are a lot of great communities in the western US with this LDS to non-LDS balance(Cali, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, etc.) Personally, I am partial to the northwest!! But i know that whatever you chose, It'll work out! Good luck! I love you!

Megan said...

I'm Amy Dover's sis in law and I read your blog, and you are sooo hilarious and your babe is adorable! Anyways, my husband and I just recently made our big decision about where we are going to be for the next 5-10 years and it was hard but what it really came down to is that it felt right. And coming from personal experience I went to three different jr high's and high school's in various parts of the country and I would just have to say that the Lord know where he wants you to be. It may not be what you want but it is always for the best and prepares you for future events in your life. And obviously the most important thing to consider is that your husband enjoys what he does, whether it be close to family or not. And there has to be members in sparse areas, sometimes the Lord wants you there so you can share the gospel with others, great time for missionary work! And you are absolutely right, any place is as good as you make it!

benandkiki said...

That is a big question. Try not to stress too much about it. These things have a way of working themselves out. I have to put in my plug for the Phoenix, Arizona area (ie Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Peoria etc.). Home prices are going down there. The church is strong, yet not Orem, Utah. It seriously is on my top 2 places to live. I love it there. However, no matter what anyone else says you have to feel good about it.

Ledebuhr Family said...

Hey Ash! Unfortunately I have no suggestions on where you should live...but I have to say the picture of Caden with your wedding rings on his toes is ADORABLE! I showed my mom your page and the maternity nurse in her says "He looks nice and healthy - must be eating well!" Ha...anyway, good luck with your future decisions!! :)

Larsen Family said...

Well, I am extremely bias, but I think California is awesome....Really though, I think all places have there pros and cons, and they are all different...you just have to decide what are the most important things to you. For me being by my family, the mild climate, and the good mix a people are important to me. When I lived in Utah there were things I liked (lets keep that on the down low), but with the other things not being there, it just didn't feel like home to me. Now Wes would probably say different, so I guess its a compromise. My best advice is that when you are in the right place, all the sacrifices or cons are worth it because you are surrounded by all the things that made you love it in the first place.

Jen R. said...

I know how you feel. We have to pick a medical school soon and it's knawing a hole in my tummy. Jared wants one thing and I want another. Jared wants to go by his family, I want to go by mine, etc. etc. etc. It's hard to know.

Melissa said...

Ya'll are really looking at Allen? Wow, that's just creepy that the one place I suggest is on your list!