Bryan and I have learned a lot about being parents this last month. (I'm sure you can guess who's learned what):
We have learned what it's like to belong to the world of proud parents. When Caden holds his head up, smiles, or goes a whole night with out crying we want to tell everyone how great we think he is.
It's a good thing Caden was born in the digital age because there is no way I could afford to develop all the pictures we take.
It is possible to love someone who pukes on you, pees on you, and poops on you...all in one day...multiple times.
I have learned another reason to love my wife because she's a great mom.
Although Bryan is incapable of getting up in the middle of the night, during the day he is truly an incredible daddy.
I have learned not to tell my wife that I'm tired.
I have learned that it was possible to become even more OCD than I already was. I think I wash pacifiers 300 times a day and clean his hands another 400.
I've learned that they should make Boppy's for adults.
I have learned that boys are very, very talented. A diaper can be covering the "area" completely and somehow they manage to get pee on the upper backside of their outfit. As a girl, I am left amazed.
I've learned that babies make sweet dancers.
I've learned that the greatest joys in life come from seeing your family happy.
We have learned that every time you change the little guy it costs us $.25. We have also learned that you can go through 704 wipes in 2 weeks. Mostly we have become very grateful for costco!
I have learned that with becoming a mother you are blessed with almost a magical amount of patience. Energy also comes out of no where--it's still pretty baffling to me.
I have learned that babies have lots of different cries and I don't know what any of them mean.
I have learned that showering during the day is a gift, not a given.
I have learned that when you find a mystery wet spot on your shirt, it only stays a mystery for about a second (and the answer is never water.)
I have learned that I will probably be one of those mother-in-laws that can't let go of their little boys. :)
In my mind, the most pronounced thing I have learned is that it is very possible to fall in love with someone at first sight. I have been in love with our little boy since the moment they placed him in my arms. I also have learned how quickly time really does go. Our baby is a month old and is growing so much every day. I have yet to hit the point of accepting that he wont stay little forever.


5 comments:
It's amazing how having a baby stretches you in ways you could never comprehend. It truely is the most wonderful and the most tiring experience ever. The first month was the hardest with Kate, after that she got more on a schedule and I was able to get a little more sleep.
I absolutely love reading your blog Ash - I love how you see the joy in life, you're a great example!
Anyone thinking that they might not want kids I'm sending to your blog...I LOVE IT! I'm SO happy that you are so happy! I really got a kick out of Bry's sleep talking...."No, you can" get used to that one!!
Hang in there with the living circumstances...you really are brave! There should be an award for us starving students, like they should just forgive our debts after we're done with school and successful. At least we're one less family sucking from the gov't for the rest of our lives right?
I love all the things you've learned!! I was nodding my head in agreement on nearly every single one! :)
p.s. someday (not yet) when we have a baby girl we are going to name her Ashley. I've loved the name forever and you just make it that much better. Well, tonight Alan told me that her full name is going to be Bionica Ashley Diane Vermillion Hoggat Sabin. (Bionica is a fabulous fruit dessert we recently discovered and the rest is pretty obvious:) We love you!
Ha ha ha! You're hilarious--I can totally relate to many of those--especailly any and all related to exhaustion.
Post a Comment