Can I just start by saying Oh how I love Provo....
Bry and I have been wanting to go to a soccer game all summer and lucky for us we caught the very last game of the season on Saturday. I think watching made Bry really sad that he can't play anymore because his shoulder is so messed up. I could tell he misses it a ton; he wouldn't stop talking about it! For me going to the game brought back good memories of when we first starting hanging out. A soccer game, in the middle of a lightening down poor, with Bry and all his friends making fun of me for giving them the broken umbrella.
Okay so on to why I love Provo/BYU.
We are sitting in the bleachers and this girl and guy walk up and sat behind us. Now I am not judging at all, but it's hard not to notice the one girl in the entire stadium who is wearing a tiny tank showing her cleavage and stomach. They sit down the guy whispers to his buddy "I didn't think the game cost money so I only had 6 bucks. She paid for our first date." Wow good work buddy. I'm sure you really impressed her.
The couples leaves and goes to get drinks when they get back the complaining begins. "Gee thanks BYU for offering us a variety of drinks: water and caffeine free diet coke." "I'm a Utah Ute, I do what I want." "Can I even be at BYU in this tank top?" "That Colorado player shouldn't be able to play on BYU's field with long hair like that. He has to abide by their rules."
I love Provo for all the things that are SO easy to make fun of. The over zealous people here entertain me so much. But these same things that I too love to make fun of are what make the BYU environment so simple to live in. No one ever questions why we chose to live the way you do--except maybe the Utes. ;) I'm very excited for the day we get to move, but I will always miss the bubble. It's an experience that you could never fully understand unless you went to school here.
Monday, July 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Funny...we stopped to watch the last 10 min of the game! We were out for a run(part of our marathon training). I also miss playing soccer...Levi and I both played in the intramurals on co-ed teams, but this winter, the guys did not trust the girls enough to pass the ball, so I have bad memories of our last games. I miss watching international soccer games (FIFA CUP, WorldCup, EuroCup, etc.).
If you guys ever want to et together to play a "friendly" game, let us know.
I know I tend to comment on the BYU Bubble, but I am grateful for the standards and for those who have character to live by those standards despite the pressure of the world.
I am a good friend of Kami- and every once and a while I read her friends blogs and I have to say yours is one of my favorites! Your story about the "utah mormons" really made me laugh, and I can relate! If you ever want to check us out our blog is blmckee.blogspot.com
Post a Comment