Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Jamestown

As the avid reader that I am, I was flipping through readers digest and stumbled upon an interesting fact. The month of April marks the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Jamestown colony in Virginia. I decided to commemorate this anniversary with pictures from our family vacation 2 summers ago to Virginia--including a tour of Jamestown. Many of you have not had the great fortune of meeting my family--and none have had the immense blessing of being part of our Hoggatt vacations. Not even my husband can say that he has truly experienced one of our vacations--YET. These pictures should bring to light how delightful they truly are. This is our tour of Jamestown. My younger brother, Logan, is a history major--and therefor eats this stuff up. The rest of us were not as impressed. Erika, Cody, and I admiring a house that the settlers lived in. (I hope you can all feel the sacrasm captured in this picture). Cody and I dancing around the pole people--not exactly sure what in the world the Jamestownians did with these. This next picture is from one of the boats they sailed across on. Honestly do not understand how people survived that trip...much like ours. It was 3000 degrees out with the humidity at about 150%. We spent 12 hours a day walking around seeing monuments and only got fed once...Macaroni and Cheese for the 6th day in a row. That is the joy of family vacations--or so we like to say to make them a little more dramatic. Dad's theory is we can eat when we get home. I'm sure he'll disagree and I'll get an email as soon as he reads this. With all this said--we do know how to laugh on our vacations. For the memories, dad wanted a documented picture to prove how truly stiffling it was outside...I don't think it would be appropriate to past so I'll save you all the pain of seeing it, but lets just say one of the women on our tour was pretty sweaty. SICK! And I will never forget my father running after her trying to sneak a picture. (I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this comment too) Anyway, after our exciting day at Jamestown I decided enough is enough and spent the day at our Condos pool relaxing and on the phone with Bryan...who days later I would be engaged to. So to wrap up my tribute to Jamestown I end with pictures of us dragging our luggage what felt like 15 miles to the subway and then riding to the bus station which then took us to the airport. Although I must admit I am extremely impressed that my parents were able to find that route and not get us lost. And looking back we did have a great time and the laughs we will have to come reminising on our vacation are priceless.
Happy 400th Anniversary Jamestown, VA.

No comments: