Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Most Wonderfully Awesome Adventure Ever . . . In the Whole World!

Ashley "reminded" me this past week that our blog was titled The Phipps Family-- apparently that title implies a cooperative blogging effort on both our parts. Yada yada yada . . . I'm in charge of blogging our recent weekend adventure. With this being the case, many of you faithful blog followers will notice a slight increase in the subtle humor of the narrative (Ashley is probably saying, "Gag me!" right about now). All gagging aside, I hope you enjoy the next five minutes of your life.

So last weekend Ashley suggested that we go for a walk in the canyon. I suggested we go for a drive to Squaw Peak, but she wasn't too fond of that idea (you can't blame a guy for trying). I'm sure then that you can guess what we did this weekend: we went for a walk in the canyon. Actually, Ashley wanted to go for a "hike." She was implying that she wanted to go on a really long walk. I was as quick as ever to reminded her that a hike differed from a walk in intensity and not in length. But, wanting to fulfill her original desires on this, the most special of all weekends for women, I took her on the originally requested outing: a hike.

So we drove up to Bridal Veil falls and began our ascent. But, before any actual physical energy could be exerted, we had to load up on hiking fuel: Diet Pepsi. With our fuel cells replenished, it was time to attack this adventure head on, but not before I took a second to come up with a game plan as how to best scale the mountain.

Following the advice every LDS youth is given, now that we had a plan, we could accomplish our goal (Ashley is probably saying to herself, "My husband is so lame!"). And that is the same thing she was thinking when I told her my plan: go up the mountain, catch the trail, and follow the trail to the falls. Ashley rejected this suggestion though, for reasons unknown to me (you can choose from the several that I have come up with including but not limited to: because I suggested it, because it wasn't adventurous enough, because my way was not her way, or because she wasn't thinking straight due to the side-effects of all that Diet Pepsi). Being the loving and supportive wife I am (some self-mockery for all those who refer to me as Ashley's Betty), I went along with her desires. Oh, did I mention that her desires were to walk right up the falls! Yeah, the really steep part. It is a good thing that I am a rugged outdoor enthusiast, or we would never have made it up that hill. So we went up to the falls Ashley's way and eventually got there. Of course, once we reach the falls another couple was kind enough to point out that there was a path. Oh, why didn't I think of that? Wait for it: Oh yeah . . . I DID!


Our path of travel, however, did not deter from the beauty of our destination. Once at the top, the gentle mist swirling around and cooling us, we were still able to take in the splendid view. We sat at the top for awhile, just relaxing and taking some photos (It should be noted here that the genius who so thoughtfully reminded us of the path was incapable of taking a simple photo. Instead, he recorded a rather humorous clip of everything but us!)



























I left the planning for the trip back down the mountain to Ashley. With all the keen awareness and foresight only she possess, we took a rather convenient path. The trip down was met with complaints of wet pants, a direct result of the climb to the top. I wont mention who was complaining, but I will say that I was wearing shorts. Speaking of my shorts, the intervals between complaints of wet pants and shoes was filled with shrieks about falling to an early death. Such a fate was only avoided by Ashley grabbing onto my pants to prevent her fall.


Contrary to her projections, we safely made the trip back down the mountain. All-in-all it was a fun little "long walk."

Epologue:

On the way back to Orem, I convinced Ashley to head up to Squaw Peak with me. Actually, since I was driving I just sort of went there. It wasn't all I hoped it would be since the mood was sort of spoiled by a group of mexicans smoking and drinking. But, we hung out for a couple of minutes and took in the view.

Feeling a bit dejected, we returned to Orem with our memories, a sense of accomplishment, and some more Diet Pepsi!



This has been a Phipps Family Publication. As always, the Phipps would enjoy hearing from their readers. Feel free to leave a comment.

4 comments:

kristen said...

yes i WILL leave a comment! it has only taken me 2 years to understand bryan phipps' humor (i didn't quite grasp the underlying sarcasm at first and it was mistaken as insult) and now that i can fully comprehend his jests... i love it. and i always laugh at him, which i know only eggs it on more. looks like you guys had fun and i hope you can make it to squaw peak at a more romantic time! Ü

Steph said...

Ha ha ha. Bryan you are too funny. I can just see it all happening. This day looks like fun! We have taken our dogs up there, but there were a million people around. We'll have to head up there sometime. Happy Diet coke day :)

Kelli and Dana said...

Holy Crap, you guys are funny! I am requesting more updates that include the Phipps family travels. And for the record, the female of the species is more deadly than the male...and therefore always right!

adam and andrea said...

LOVE IT! I would have done the exact same thing Ashley! : )