Friday, March 21, 2008

Labor & Delivery Class

After the Birthing Video:
My thoughts: Am I an idiot?!? I have seen this birthing video before and I still went and got pregnant?!?! What have I done? What have I done? What have I done?

Bryan's VOCALIZED thoughts:
* (After the first female "area" is shown.) "Is this really necessary?"
* "I am sooooo glad I'm a boy."
* (Right after the birth when the baby was still covered in vernix.) "EEWWH! Did you see that?!? She just kissed IT!"
* "They better not try and hand me our kid when he looks like that...I'll give him back and tell them to hose him off...with a power sprayer."
* "Who would actually allow their birth to be taped and then shown publicly? You'd run into one of these people on the streets--Hey, nice independent video you did."

During the matching game:
Instructor: "When is it safe to have sexual intercourse again after birth?"
One of the men: 6 long weeks.
Bryan: After seeing that I'd say more like 2010.
(Of course after that I can't hold in the laughter and everyone looks at me like I'm immature.)


Instructor: (Explaining the 9 million steps to afterbirth care.) "This is an inflatable donut. Some woman like this to relieve pain after birth."
Bryan: "They should just make those ugly mesh underwear inflatable. It'd save a step."

Walking out of the Hospital:
Bryan: "I think I need to see a therapist."


For Bryan's real take on the experience go to Counter Point.
....but not unless you've been doing your kegel exercises.

13 comments:

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

I had also seen labor and delivery videos before, but seeing a delivery while being pregnant puts a whole new spin on it--I started crying in my class when we watched it!! I got so nervous and freaked out--I think watching them give the epidural freaked me out more (thank goodness I couldn't see it when they gave me mine). I did buy a donut to sit on and was a big fan--I was also a fan of the mesh granny panties--the cut is kind of like boy short underwear. I can't believe how close it is to your due date!!

Lesley said...

It's a good thing Kyle and Bryan didn't watch this video together because Kyle essentially said the very same things at the same intervals... they probably would have just egged eachother on and made the situation even more awkward.

*katie said...

Oh goodness, so funny. When Alan and I were in our birth class I didn't watch most of the video because I just can't handle it. Just tell me what I absolutely need to know 100% and I'm good.

I definitely could have used a donut. My tailbone had serious trauma after delivering twins with lots and lots of pushing. There are times it still hurts and the boys are almost 14 months now. Ouch.

kristen said...

i'm dying. i think i just peed my pants...

kami said...

oh my gosh...i bawled during that! we just went to the seminar last saturday and can i tell you how much that video freaked me out??? you're right - what are we doing? and why did we want to get pregnant? oh yeah...okay i remember now. but please...i felt like i was going to die after seeing that!

adam and andrea said...

you guys are hilarious!! I seriously laughed out loud when I read this!!! : )

Kelli and Dana said...

Wow, you've just inspired me to never take one of those classes and to get pregnant and live in a state of complete denial until the moment in arrives. Thanks!

Katie said...

Ashley, you are cracking me up! I remember what an expereince it is to see "the video" That is the only reason I got James to the class!
I am excited for your shower! Cant wait to see you and your cute belly!

Linds said...

Just wait until you have to watch the video on nursing in the hospital...You'll definately pee your pants with Bryan around!

Melissa said...

That was hilarious...oh Bryan you just vocalized PERFECTLY what we all think watching that video. I remember walking out of that room thinking I was an idiot for ever getting myself into the pregnancy mess. How do you get a 8 pound ANYTHING out of yourself without some misery? I just stared at my belly and thinking "oh mother of pearl what have I done?"

Matt 'n Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt 'n Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt 'n Erin said...

Matt read this and says "Now you see why I like Bryan?"
By the way....How weird is it that I feel like I have already met you and I have only seen your blog?!
Hope your feeling great!