Wednesday, March 12, 2008

30 Carbs Per Meal?!?

I went in to see the dietitian and came out feeling a bit overwhelmed. Starvation was looking like a good option at that point. I get 5 small meals a day with 30 carbs at each meal. Well that's fine and dandy but have you actually ever really read food labels?!?

1 Large Apple=30 grams of carbs
1 banana=30 grams of carbs
1 cup of cooked veggies=10 carbs
2 pieces of bread=30 carbs
1/2 cup of granola=30 carbs
6 oz of baked potato=30 carbs
2 cups of 1% Milk=30 carbs
Here is my favorite:
2 inch brownie=30 carbs

Are you serious?!? A 2 inch brownie (that is basically one bite) is a full meal?!? One apple is supposed to be an entire meal?

This morning I started testing my blood sugar. The dietitian said I should do it 11 times a day...we'll see how long I can endure that. My poor little fingers are already mad at me. I was a little discouraged because I only had a 20 carb breakfast and my blood sugar was just barely under my maximum. Thankful it went way down for my next few pokes.

Although I am completely amazed by all these numbers I am more amazed that I have actually been able to stick to it. It takes a lot more effort and planning but I'm trying really hard and believe survival is a possibility. :)

4 comments:

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

You can do it Ashley! The diet seems ridiculous, but not impossible--my mom has been diabetic for over 30 years and she seems to eat pretty normally--just very healthy...I don't know if that is encouraging or not.

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

Oh man Ash! I have to take that test at my next appointment! CRAZY!!!!!

adam and andrea said...

Wow...what a crazy diet! You can do it!!! Just think...only a few more months until french fries and milk shakes!! : )

Melissa said...

Thats madness...well at least the madness starts AFTER the first trimester nausea and food pickiness has had a chance to subsided...and you'll have less weight to loose after Danger is born! Sometimes I wish someone would place me on a mandatory diet so that I could learn a little self control with all of this Easter candy around!