Friday, March 07, 2008

Bye-Bye Love (Sugar)

I think Ray Charles says it best:
Bye bye love
Bye bye happiness
Hello loneliness, I think I'm gonna cry.


The results are back--and I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I still haven't quite figured out how I am going to survive without not only sugar but my beloved carbohydrates. Anyone who knows me knows I would pick pasta and bread over a good steak any day! This is going to be a HUGE change for me, but all things considered I'm feeling really blessed because my levels weren't high enough that I need insulin injections.
After reading all the complications that diabetes can cause in the baby after birth I think I have been scared into saying goodbye to my dear love--sugar. We have truly had a great relationship over the last 24 years and you will be greatly missed, but you are not more important than my baby.

So bye bye ice cream, and cookies, and chocolate, and sour patch kids, and chewy granola bars, and pasta, and croissants.....Hello Dietitian.

10 comments:

Lesley said...

Sorry to hear that... but at least you get to eat sugar and carbs after the baby is born! And since you can't eat them, I'll do my best to eat your share as well as mine until you can enjoy them again. Best wishes!

Linds said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that! However, I have some chocolate that you might like...it's healthy chocolate that doesn't affect your blood glucose levels because it doesn't go through the dutching process (where they add sugar and milk) and is full of antioxidants! It's the best stuff ever!

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

Oh no! Ash, I feel for you. We're in the same boat, somewhat, though--I've been doing the South Beach Diet (since Tuesday) and I've cut out all sugar and all the "white" foods (flour, rice, potatoes, pasta). I'm getting through, though, so you will be able to also. I have a mondo sweet tooth, but I did this diet a few years ago, and I promise--after a couple of weeks of no sugar, your body gets used to it and you don't really crave it as much anymore. Hang in there!!

adam and andrea said...

ooohh nooo!!! Sorry to hear that - but just think - it's only for a few months! : )

Jenna and Steve said...

Man, I am sorry Ashley. That really is a hard change, but worth the sacrifice. I miss seeing you at work. We need to do something sometime!

kami said...

aww that stinks! but the good thing is your baby will be healthy, you will be too, and you won't gain as much weight! yay for that! :)

benandkiki said...

That stinks, I'm sorry. My mom had gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with me and my brothers. She said it was hard but after awhile it was the best she has ever felt.

Kari said...

oh, i'm so sorry ashley! that really does stink. i was borderline at the quick test and had to do the four hour glucose crap test. (did you almost die? it was horrible!!) lucky for me, though, i was fine. needless to say i'm a little concerned for this go-round. i think you've inspired me to lay off the easter candy a little more. :) good luck chica!

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

bummer! I am sorry about that. But, like you said its for baby Danger! :)

AlliSMiles said...

oh that's horrible! but i'm glad that you don't have it too bad. my good friend gained 70 lbs and was on 2 months bed rest with her gestational diabetes with her last baby (and she's our size)! good luck! lemme know if i can do anything to help!