Monday, August 20, 2007

Big Trees

Bry and I took a day trip to Arnold, CA to the Big Trees. Let me tell you, they were big--really, really big. For about the first 30 minutes they are intriguing but after that you are thinking how many more big trees do I have to see before this hike is over?!? We had a good laugh at the people that actually read the history of the 30 individual trees that were marked in the forest. We sat and watched one group read the story aloud, then sit and stare at the tree for about 10 minutes analyzing it. We concluded they must lead very dull lives. Apparently Bryan's family drug him here when he was really young and he said he walked the entire trail in 15 minutes. I could totally picture little Bryan pouting through the forest.



































There were fallen trees that I climbed on to walk across. Yeah--they were old, dirty, and gross. Bryan failed to tell me we would be hiking. I thought maybe it was a riding tour--okay basically I didn't think that one through at all and wore flip flops.



















Man down...look at the roots on this beast of a tree.


















One of the trees was hallow and you could walk through it. Yes these are BIG trees.




































Tree Huggers.





















It was a cool experience to see how truly huge this redwoods are. It's pretty amazing. However I think it will be a one time thing for us because basically we drove 4 1/2 hours to see a tree.

2 comments:

kami said...

hey we've driven our car through that big cut-out in the tree! crazy!! i wa s like 8 years old and pretty amused...looks like a fun trip!

Anthony, Valerie & Tate said...

Hey that is the area that Anthony is from! But you are right about the one time trip. As you know that isn't in the cards for me!:) wink wink