Friday, September 14, 2007

My Book World

"I live in two worlds. One is a world of books. I've been a resident of Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, hunted the white whale aboard the Pequod, fought alongside Napoleon, sailed a raft with Huck and Jim, committed absurdities with Ignatius J. Reilly, rode a sad train with Anna Karenina, and strolled down Swann's Way. It's a rewarding world, but my second one is by far superior. My second one is populated with characters slightly less eccentric but supremely real, made of flesh and bone, full of love, who are my ultimate inspiration for everything."
-Gilmore Girls

I remember the first time I heard this quote how much I related to it; I love to read. I love how with each book you are swept into another world where the characters become your friends and the scenery surrounds you. This summer I had much free time to enjoy many different books. I was in Denmark during WWII with a Jewish family, down south sharing secrets with the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, at Hogwarts with the witches and wizards learning magic, and in Puritan America suffering and search for redemption with poor Hester Prynne. I am really thankful for these books that have expanded my imagination and learning; They have allowed me a second world and have been so enjoyable to be a part of.

5 comments:

kristen said...

ok i just have to say- i finished all three "vampire" books and i actually kind of liked them at the end. but don't tell anyone. :)

Melissa said...

I love that GG quote! I feel the same way about my second world...accept sometimes I get a little mixed up about the facts of each! I mean, I don't REALLY wait for dementors to fly around the corner, but you get the idea! I've especially read a lot this summer...since I left all of my friends in Utah!

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

That is an amazing quote. I am so glad you posted that. I feel the same way about reading. It has been a goal of mine to always be reading something. Along with Kristen I am reading the second "Vampire" book and must also admit I can't put them down!
Thanks for sharing that!

Jenna and Steve said...

I thought it was a retarded blog!

Linds said...

I feel you! I recently read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer...Also known as the "vampire books". Not the best writing I've ever read, but it's definately a fun story worth getting lost in!