My wise sister in law said it perfectly: When you have another baby, your love isn't divided between two. It just grows enough to love them both equally as much.
That is exactly how it felt when I saw Parker for the first time; my ability to love just expanded. I don't know, I don't want to make it sound trite, so I'll stop trying to explain and just say it is an amazing feeling, really, really amazing. I feel blessed beyond measure to be a mother again, and especially to this precious little boy. He was definitely supposed to be part of our family. AND after this labor experience I told Bryan that I'm going to keep my baby trend going in 2010 (Caden '08, Parker '09)...he asked if I was getting remarried.
But seriously, I never want to leave Utah because I had the most incredible experience here. I knew I'd love my doctors and they didn't fail me whatsoever. The nurses were so kind. The anesthesiologist was heaven sent after my first epidural not working. This epidural made my blood pressure drop to like 50/35 which was pretty scary--okay, really scary, but this man, in his Christmas tree suspenders over the scrubs glory, saved the day with oxygen masks, and another IV drip. After 35 years of service this man knows his stuff! Phenomenal. He made sure to inform me that all red heads are big trouble makers for the health care profession. Sorry folks. I didn't choose this hair color. Oh, and I forgot the best part of my experience...THEY GIVE YOU FLAVORED ICE!!! I'm talking snow cone style. Like I said, I never want to leave Utah.
So here's the story, more for my memory than anyone elses. We got the call to come into the hospital at 8 AM. I wonder if I will ever know what it's like to be surprised by labor...probably not. We got there around 10 AM. I was hooked up to the machines and IV's and then the fun began. At this point my anxiousness had subsided and I was just excited to meet our baby boy. I tried to let the pitocin really start working before requesting suspender-man's services. I lasted about 2 1/2 hours before the waterworks started. I think I was emotional more because my nurse said I was only dilated to 1 cm after all that pain. This was especially odd since my doctor had told me the day before I was at 2 cm.
Either way after being at the hospital for about 7 hours I had only progressed 2 cm. I was a bit panicked, thinking I was going to be in this hospital bed for the next two days at this rate. Then, this awful pain set in. I'm talking, my pelvis bone is going to break in half, pain. Apparently in less than an hour I went from a 4 to a 10, and was completely ready to push. I was not expecting that. Either was my anesthesiologist who quickly came back and gave me the best drugs mixture in the universe. Parker's head was turned to the side which was also making the pain worse. My fabulous doctor was able to move him into position and after only 20 minutes of pushing he was here. The whole thing was a whirl wind. I was nauseated from the speed of it all. But more so I was amazed. Having a baby really is just that, amazing. After they handed me Parker I just kept thinking, I have TWO kids. How lucky am I?!? OH-and I looked at the clock when he was born. It was 6:26 PM...they say 6:23. My question is...when is he "born"? When the heads out? Shoulders? When the body is all out?!? Seriously, there has to be a science to this.
Anyway, Parker got a 9-10 on his apgar test. Be impressed. :) Then they took him straight to the nursery for his bath. I missed him immediately. What a blessing...he was mine to miss! The next thing I know they are wheeling me to my mother-baby room, and I see Caden at the nursery glass pointing and smiling. Nothing in the world could melt your heart more. That moment will be with me forever.
So between having such a wonderful second experience with labor and being so overwhelmed by my love for two children, I totally understand Michelle Duggar and her 19 kids. :) My New Years Resolution this year is to get my own reality show.
We are home now. Parker is perfect. So content. Caden is lively as ever. Life is definitely exactly how it should be. We are enjoying today--since tomorrow begins the last semester of law school. It all goes so fast.
And Janelle to answer your question :)...
We had debated back and forth my whole pregnancy over names. I was having commitment issues. Mostly we went between Tanner, Beckett, and Logan. We were 90% going with Tanner when we went to the hospital. Then when Bryan held him for the first time he looks up at me and says, "He just doesn't look like a Tanner." Suspender-man's advice was: Pick a name you love and the boy will make it his own. We got the baby name book back out and I had to listen to Bryan's ridiculous suggestions: Horatio, Jedidiah, etc. I dreamt about names the first night at the hospital. Well, I've always LOVED Parker...we almost named Caden Parker, but it had gotten so popular on the baby charts that I just forgot about it. Well, our Parker looks like a Parker...so my boy will make the name his own. :)
...Let my life surrounded by THREE BOYS begin. :)
Sunday, January 03, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
oh Ashley how wonderful, but yet a bit confused, I thought you had a scheduled C-sectoion? did you go into labor insted? OH and by the way im SUPER jelious, Im asking for flavored Ice when I deliver and am in the hospital, come on how come this was never around sooner?? How awesome, nothing like alittle flavor when your hungary or sick of the same ol water taste!! hes a cute, congrats on the delivery, glad it turned out well..take care and enjoy. I hope we find this one to be a boy!
So sweet:) I'm getting excited to have another little person join my family! I'll have to be patient though...I still have a way to go! He does look like a little Parker, his name is perfect! Have fun with all your men:)
What a wonderful story!! I'm glad it went so well--As soon as I read the third paragraph of your blog post about never wanting to leave Utah because of your experience I said to Adam, "Uh-oh, you're not going to want me to read this." (pause, then) "Flavored ice! They give you flavored ice!!" Ya, we pretty much can move back to Utah any day and I'll be okay with it. :)Okay, so for your sake, I'm glad he didn't end up a New Year's baby. Heaven bless anesthesiologists--if angels could have a profession....Congratulations! Good luck with all your boys! :)
He is finally here! Parker is perfect! I agree with you about the epidural. I still chuckle to myself when I think about the fact that I did not want one with Gracelyn...and then I went into labor...its funny how pain can change your mind! After 48 hours of labor the epidural was so wonderful that it is hard to explain in words. Now I will never try to do it without one - they are fabulous! I am glad that everything went well and everyone is happy and healthy! Enjoy and soak up every little snuggle!!
Congratulations! Very exciting story, thanks for sharing! I was just thinking that I like the name Parker! I have a few other faves so I was saving that one as back up in case Mike rejects the other, less traditional names on my list! :) p.s. Yay for flavored ice, that is amazing!
Parker is adorable! I LOVE the name. I'm so glad things went to well for you this time. I have something I want to bring by. I'll give you a call. Congratulations you guys!
I'm so happy for you guys! I can't wait to see the little guy, he is so cute!
hey ashley! congratulations! he's such a cute little boy! that's awesome that you delivery went so well, pushing for only 20 minutes! sounds good to me! congrats!!
What a perfect story! Thanks for letting us in on your joy and all the special details along the way. Congrats on having kidS! Good luck with the transition. You'll do great. Thinking of you!
Nice to have you back Ashley, not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed hearing bryan type, and I have loved all the pictures, but THIS post is what I needed!! I love how you put every second of motherhood into perspective. YOU are a wonderful person Ash, and I'm so glad I know you.
Parker totally looks like a Parker to me too!! Not even meeting him the pictures just look like PARKER! HOW FUN! Enjoy all the little moments with your sweet family!!
Congratulations!!
Post a Comment