Thursday, May 05, 2011

Major Massacre

Caden and I put on our farming boots & went out to collect our eggs for the day.
When we opened the gate I noticed some feathers, never a good sign.

Caden skipped up to the coop, stopped in his tracks, & examined the scene.

Feathers, tons and tons of feathers, in every direction.

It left me with a very vivid, unwanted picture. Poor Ferdinand.

"Where are all my chickens mom?!?"

I wanted to lie.

The animal kingdom is a cruel, cruel place.

So I told him another, bigger animal must have stolen them.

He kept searching for his chickens, got bored, & decided it was time to watch Mickey Mouse.

Thank goodness.

I'm mad; I had just barely started to appreciate cooking with fresh eggs everyday.

That aside, we put a lot of time and effort into those darn chickens.

With a sad heart I cleaned the last of our eggs, & plotted my revenge on the animal that stole our chickens.

7 comments:

adam and andrea said...

ohmygosh. Poor chicken! I'm glad Caden moved on, it would be hard to explain a chicken massacre to an almost 3 year old...

Megan said...

I would be more scared about you know who than the stinkin animal ;) no FRESH chicken eggs...it just isnt the same to digest. But on the good side...I hear Costco has some pretty good eggs.

Amy said...

So sad. We once lost 11 on a sunday morning... that was a yucky sight. Oh well, back to the drawing board (again!) This last time we got tired of it and built fort Knox around the birds, something still got in. In night two of the trial of the super-bolstered fort... here's hoping...

Paul said...

What, Ferdinand dead! :(. Wait till I let you adopt one of my brewed again! Oh the pain. You're right, there will be justice!

Linds said...

Oh, how sad!

Sheila said...

AGH! No way could that happen...that was YOUR chicken! How does that just happen right in your own backyard... LAME! Seriously sorry, I guess living out in the wild stuff like that happens...porr ferdinand!

Anonymous said...

Buy a long-range rifle. Get some night goggles. Sit on your roof. The rest is up to accuracy.

Safe to say this was not Tarin's idea...