Friday, October 01, 2010

Eddie, Frannie, & Frank

We got pygmy goats. A family in our area was selling them, and they picked us out of 30 other families {apparently Pygmy's are a HOT commodity} to be their new owners. I kid you not, they raised the goats in their kitchen. These little guys even come when you call their name. It was quite a big deal for the family to let go of them. They made Bryan call them as soon as we got home to let them know they were safe. This is Eddie. He is the dominate one of the gang. Caden thinks he's hilarious. He'll ram the fence and Caden will laugh and laugh, and then Eddie will do it again, and Caden will pretend to fall over, and then Eddie will do it again...This is sweet little Frannie. She is the smallest, and by far the most mild-mannered. Caden wouldn't pet her because she was "too dirty." {She's all black and so the burs show up on her fur the most}. This is Frank. He is Frannie's twin. Caden just likes to say his name. "Hi Frank."
Caden climbed over the gate to get in with the goats, and then says, "Hey look, I in a cage!" This kid was seriously in Heaven. I thought he was going to explode with excitement. Parker thought they were pretty fun to watch too, until I started feeding them food instead of him. Then he was just ticked.And me, how do I feel about the pygmy goats? Well, today being my third whole day of ownership, I can still say that I like them. A lot actually. {This was not the case with the chickens. Those things are gross. And they don't do anything, except make a huge mess. No entertainment; Not fun.}
We started our first day off with a little battle. But I won {kind of}, so they are still okay on my list. My genius husband decided not to take his dad's advice and check the fence before putting the goats in. Well, apparently all three of our pastures are connected and the orchard's gate was left wide open. Bryan leaves for work that morning as usual. I leave to go jogging with the kids, and my three goats come trotting up behind me following my stroller. WHAT IN THE WORLD?!? Now I panic. I didn't grow up on a farm. What the heck am I supposed to do? At this point I had not touched these mini goats, so I was still a bit timid around them. Nothing like being pushed into the pool.
I can't leave my kids by the side of the road. I can't leave my goats or they will take off. Oh my gosh, what will that family think of me if they see the goats they bottle fed in their kitchen in the middle of the road?!? I start yelling their names and trying to get them to follow me back to the pasture gate which I am barely strong enough to even open, by the way. I do this like 30 times. They follow me half way and lose interest. I look like a complete fool. I tried pulling on their horns, but that was a joke. Pretty sure even the goats laughed at me.
Parker's bawling. Caden's trying to kick the goats. I'm losing it.
Then I call my mother-in-law freaking out, trying to herd my goats back to our property as they've wondered to the neighbors. {What did ranchers do without cell phones when their animals got loose?} She laughs and says she'll try to swing by on her way to her work out class. UHM, apparently my panicked yelling didn't get across the fact that this was an E.MER.GEN.CY. {You know I'm only kidding Jolene.}
So I call my husband and in the most loving tone I can muster say, "Bryan you idiot, get home and fix this."
I try calling and running and jangling my keys. Well behaved Frannie and Frank ran after me into the pasture. Stubborn old Eddie parks it and wont move. Little devil. Seeing as he's the leader of the pack Frannie and Frank take off again. I remembered the old owners saying that Eddie especially likes people food. I run to the house to get some. I reopen my front door up to see Frannie sitting on my front porch waiting to come in. Eh, not happening lady. I have a two leg maximum in my house.
I get Frannie & Frank back in the gate {one of the greatest moments of my adult life}, lock it, and go back for Eddie. I start leading him to the gate with the people food. Thankfully, Bryan shows up at this point. I guess my message was clear enough for him. His first comment, {oozing with sarcasm of course} "Really? Animal crackers?"
Attack Eddie. Attack.
At least I had on my running shoes and not my Bernardo's.

And then, somehow, they got out again later that day. What can I say? I'm a counterfeit country girl, and Eddie is smarter than my husband.

13 comments:

Jenna and Steve said...

I L.O.V.E this story. You are hilarious. Can we come visit? I would love to see this all in action. I will admit that as much as I love living in downtown San Francisco, I dream of a dishwasher, parking spot and disposal. Steve says I need to stop dreaming so high. :)

Erika said...

Hahahaha. Genius! I just laughed for like five min. And I'm quite sure my new favorite threat is attack, Eddie. Attack!

gbrooks said...

Oh my heavens, that was hysterical. Animal crackers: good thinking. That picture of Caden is equally hilarious.

Amy said...

Goats are nuts. Do you think maybe you're rushing the country thing a bit?:)

Lesley said...

I would have given anything to see you chase those goats. Wow, I miss you!

kristen said...

WHY!?

J.Phipps said...

Ashley...aka...the goat whisperer

Paul said...

Father knows best.

Paul said...

Ashley, you even take great pictures of goats! And I knew you'd most likely get them rounded up...goats come right up to you, it's the pigs that that are impossible.

Jolene said...

That was me :)

Jolene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stacey said...

thanks for making me laugh a lot! that story is hilarious.

Hawkins Family said...

Your stories always crack me up! This one was no different. I had to share this one with my parents though too. :)