Our house has turned into one big craft room. My kitchen table is covered with cardboard; My counters are covered in paint and brushes; My family room has big pieces of wood against the walls; Fabric has taken over my end tables. Bry and I have been working to get Caden's new big boy room decorated in a way we love but also as inexpensively as possible. We're mixing a very contemporary quilt with jungle animals, so as he grows we can take the animals away and the room still works perfect! While we were down at the Quilt Shop we found these adorable elephant and lion wood cut outs. I wanted them so badly because the colors matched the bedding exactly, but I was not about to pay what they were asking, so Bryan--who I'm learning is even more talented than I thought--said he'd make them. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical. He took a picture and headed to Lowes.

DIY Total Cost: $15.
Here is the final product. You can't tell but they are actually 3 dimensional because the elephants ear is a separate piece of wood and so is the lion's main. The elephant is about 2 feet tall, and they'll just lean against the wall on his dresser or bookshelf. I could not believe how exact they were to the originals. 

DIY Total Cost: $12.
Our next project: Canvas wall hangings. The picture is missing the 3rd zebra painting, but you get the idea. Bry came up with the genius way to use photoshop to make cut out templates, so even though neither of us are artists we painted these 16x20 pictures!! Like I said, I'm pretty impressed with my husband's hidden talents.
DIY Total Cost: $10.
I've also been busy making Caden file folder games to keep him entertained during church.
Lastly, I made Little Phipps #2 a quilt. Not quite done with the binding, so I wont post pictures yet. It's definitely not perfect since it's my first. Even so, I'm in love with it!

My next project for this little guy can be found at Ohdeedoh.
Wood Photo Flashcards.
Wood Photo Flashcards.
So excited about this one!!
*4 Years*
And I just had to post a picture of our 4th Anniversary from last night. My grandpa says that the best marriages happen when both people feel like they are the luckiest person in the entire world. Without hesitation I can say that I feel that every day of my life. I've been blessed beyond measure because the Lord placed this wonderful man in my path. I will forever be grateful for that sunny October day that we were sealed in the Temple for eternity, and continually grateful for each day we are able to spend together. What else can I say?!? I'm in love. 


15 comments:
1) Happy Anniversary
2) Way to go on the projects!
3) Caden's getting your hair color! Strawberry blonde...NOT red ;)
Oh my goodness you are so crafty! Definitely inspiring.
no wonder we haven't seen you! Soooo busy! I love how everything turned out. And you are definitely definitely going to have to show me how to make those file folders.
Ella would love those.
super cute projects! i love doing things DIY it feels good! i think that's the thing i like most about being poor (not that it's all that great)...but, i find that it brings out creativity i didn't know i had! way to go.
I can so clearly remember that sunny day in October as well! :) I'm so happy for you guys! Miss you!!
oh my gosh you've been busy! I LOVE the elephant and lion. Way to go Bryan!! And the canvases are super cute. And I need some file folder games! I made one this week, but need more ideas...did you get your farmer one from a book? If so, where?
Oh, and happy anniversary!
Ashley - You are so unbelievably creative! I wish I had your ambition. I buy things like that or see them and just don't even know where to get started. Amazing!! Congrats on your 4 year anniversary and baby #2 on the way.
impressive!! everything looks amazing! kudos on getting all of that done while being pregnant and having Caden running around! I'm still working on getting a shower and grocery shopping...
congrats on 4 years - you are a gorgeous preggo! : )
I just got a chance to catch-up on your blog. Happy anniversary! Your projects look amazing. Good work on all that! :) I hope you are all well.
I am so impressed with your projects! They are so cute. I'm excited to see the room when it's done. We definitely would love to have you come visit! I get very antsy these days and LOVE "healthy" visitors! :)
Your next project: build caden a padded room where you can leave him and the little phipps alone for several hours ;)
Thank you!!! We were both blessed with adorable children! Love all the do it yourself stuff!! Makes me want to try to do some as well...not so crafty though! Happy Anniversary!
*I meant I am not so crafty...you get the idea :-)
Hey I'm his mom and I'm surprised! Way to go both of you, but my favorite project won't be finished until January and I can't wait!!!
Happy anniversary! Those projects are awesome!!!! I did Coleson's room similar, and I have to admit, I gave in and bought canvas wall art because I cannot paint. I love the file folder games...Did you make them up yourself or did you find a template somewhere??
Post a Comment