Sunday, December 14, 2008

Beatitudes.

Both of our computers completely crashed within two days of each other. Like that is even really possible. Oh, but it is folks. Now we have a law school loaner with no Photoshop. No Photoshop=No pictures. So I'm left with nothing to blog about but my thoughts. Yes, I have nothing better to do right now than blog because it's finals week for Bryan, which means I am spouse-less. And since it is also after 8, I am childless.

Since I have no exciting news I thought I'd share a what I've been studying. I love those moments in my life when I say (for lack of a better word), Ah-ha, I finally really get it! Because I feel like that Ah-ha is a blessing, I want to in return share it. Though I am sure most of you have already had this moment.

I'm currently reading The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ. Today I was reading about the Sermon on the Mount and more specifically the Beatitudes, and today I was able to grow just a little bit. Like many of you I'm sure, I've read these scriptures many times, but apparently I've been missing the true importance. Not too shocking, that seems to happen all too frequently. I always read over these Beatitudes as characteristics that would be good to work on. While that's still true, I gained a greater understanding on why.

"The Beatitudes are both characteristics of, and conditions enjoyed by, the exalted."

President Harold B. Lee said, "In his Sermon on the Mount the Master has given us somewhat of a revelation of his own character, which was perfect, or what might be said to be 'an autobiography, every syllable of which he had written down in deeds,' and in so doing has given us a blueprint for our own lives."

Hello! Why haven't I taken these Beatitudes more seriously? Why haven't I studied, and I mean really studied, what it really means to be poor in spirit, or to mourn, or to truly have a pure heart? If we are able to develop these characteristics we are able to experience true happiness and this is because we are able to become a reflection of our perfect Savior's own character.

Today I focused on meekness. Meekness is poise under pressure, and patience in the face of provocation. "Meekness is one of the clearest reflections of how closely a disciple's personality or makeup, or even reactions, mirror those of the Savior." Wow!

Today there was a lot more for me, but the bottom line is that understanding these Beatitudes is a gift. Through studying these things we can come to truly know our Savior. By coming to know him we can then become more like him. And that is what it is all about.

Oh, how I wish I hadn't wasted so much time on things that don't matter nearly as much as these characteristics...

3 comments:

heather peck said...

what a beautiful post, thank you~ and good luck getting your computers fixed!

Melany said...

the beatiudes were always a tad confusing to me. i always appreciate some clarification on them. :) i was looking at your pictures below - caden is getting so big and so cute! it's amazing how times flies. :)

J&J said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I always read over them and it really made me think. Thank you for sharing and also clarifying!!
Yeh, our computer had a virus:( and was ready to crash but our neighbor came to the rescue!!