Wow. It's been quite a month. Two weeks after our little Owen was born we closed on our first home and moved. No, we didn't expect it to play out this way, but it did so what can you do but press forward. Yay, for adventures. On moving day, as I was driving to our new home, I thought about all the things I had been able to accomplish in the last month. We had our third little boy, packed up our home, bought our new home, cleaned two entire homes, painted the upstairs, and moved. I couldn't help but repeat over and over in my head the phrase, "I CAN DO HARD THINGS!" This is big for me--like Bryan has said about me, usually if the wind blows in the wrong direction I tip over. What can I say, I stress easily. :) It turns out that phrase in my mind was much more than just me cheering myself on. It was a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father.
When I showed up at our new home later that day I see Bryan completely hunched over. I thought he was messing with me, so of course I tell quasimodo he's not funny. Well, he wasn't joking. I could quickly tell that he was in a lot of pain. He said something had happened before the guys had even come to load the truck and he'd been trying to help hunched over the entire time. When he finally laid down, I could tell something was really, really wrong. I begged him to go to the hospital; When his amazing dad showed up to take him to the ER he couldn't get out of bed. When he finally rolled onto the floor he was stuck there trying to stand for a good half and hour. It was awful not being able to do a thing about it, because everytime you tried to help he cried out in pain. Long story, but after 8 hours at the hospital they found 2 bulging discs and left the question of surgery hovering in our minds. Luckily, after a very long weekend a specialist cleared up the idea of surgery, but said he wasn't supposed to do anything but lay in bed for at least a week.
My house was covered in what felt like 100's of boxes and furniture that I couldn't move and didn't know how to put together. I had three little boys and a husband that needed me to do everything for them. Plus, I had just had a baby three weeks ago, with a labor that felt way too similar to my first experience and I was hurting. The wind blew in the wrong direction. I was overwhelmed. But that mantra, "I can do hard things," came to me again. With a lot of help from incredible family and friends we finished the move. The week after many of my family members showed up for Owen's baby blessing and we were able to finish the rest of the big projects that I couldn't do on my own. Our new ward reached out and I just know we are going to love it here. We have some how survived this month. I can honestly say that though I may have shed a few hundred tears, I can do hard things, and do them with a smile on my face. This has been a very challenging month, but it has also been one of the greatest months I'll remember. I have a beautiful angel baby, a wonderful new home, and an even stronger marriage to show for it.
And I promise I'll start returning calls eventually! Or you could just come visit us in our new home--that may be quicker. :)
These are three days after Owen Jack was born. He has truly been an incredible blessing in our home. He never cries, and he just brings me this calm. Adjusting to three has been waaaay easier than I had expected. Granted I have yet to go to the grocery store alone with them all.






10 comments:
Oh ash you know this kills me!! Why can't we live closer so we can do all the hard things TOGETHER!? So sorry it's been so crazy for you guys. I love to see how you always turn it into a positive. And by now I guess you REALLY know that you CAN do hard things!!
Oh my goodness Ashley, what a month!! I'm so glad you're on the other side of things now and that you were able to stay positive through all of that. Thanks Heavens for tender mercies!
Wow, what an insane month! We've had a few of those periods lately where EVERYTHING happens at once, but it's usually me who is out of commission and Adam is the one who has to do everything. Very inspiring--that is going to be my mantra for the next 6 weeks--we're having our first boy(!) and I am ready to die. 6 weeks might as well be 6 months, so reading this helps me put things into perspective, so thanks. :) Owen is adorable! It looks like his brothers are having fun with him. Have fun settling into your new house.
You are one tough lady! Owen is adorable!
I still want that phone call but we will see you all soon!
Going to the grocery store is out of the question! That's what night shopping is for :)
Can't wait to see pics of the house! And how did you get a baby that doesn't cry? Amazing!
I can help in terms of running errands in Folsom, don't forget. My offer window is getting smaller, but I'd love to help while I can still say I have only two kids.
Keep up the good fight Ashley! I know you are going to be soooo happy with these good changes. Keep us posted on Bryan's -- yikes.
Hopefully we can all go to dinner in the Fall sometime. new babies in tow.
of course you can do hard things - you always have!! Love the pics, especially the one of Caden holding Owen's head up. As far as the grocery store goes, yeah, that would be insanity...
Love you - looking forward to catching up soon!!
oh my goodness - that is quite a lot; good job for hanging in there! i thought i had it rough when elijah came down with the stomach flu the day i got home from the hospital and then sam came down with it two days later. but you win!
i'm so excited about little owen and your new house - congratulations on both! can't wait to see more pictures.
Wow yikes. Sounds pretty horrible and like it couldn't have been much worse. I'm glad you are through the worst! I wish we were closer together! Not that I would be any help whatsoever, but it's nice to think that maybe we could at least hang out :)
And I didn't even recognize Parker! Can't wait to see pics of little Owen. I love that last picture Bryan took. Beautiful.
Miss you!
Don't do it. The grocery store, I mean. It's not worth it. Just go hungry:)
Congrats! I am such a bad friend...I never knew you had your third babe (although I knew you were due any day now) nor what his name was, so decided to pop on over and say hi....and wow, you've had a busy time lately haven't you??? Good job, mama! Owen Jack is PRECIOUS! And I can't believe you have 3 kids! 3 BOYS! :) I guess a lot has happened in your life since the good ol' Student Health Center days, eh? :) And I know you can do hard things---I have never seen someone type so hard and so fast doing those dumb yellow data entry sheets as you! :) Good think your dad had you around to practice his keyboarding textbooks when you were 3. :) Miss you girl!
Post a Comment