Thursday, June 09, 2011

Playing Catch Up

Lots has happened so I'll give the very brief rendition. Caden turned THREE! I know I'll say this every year but I cannot believe my baby is three. Today I was journaling about him, trying to really write down all the details that make his little personality so special. It was LONG! I guess that's Caden though--very hard to nail down. The one word that always does comes to mind when I think of this little boy is EXTREME! He does nothing down the middle of the road. He is extremely compassionate; He throws extreme {talking hours long} tantrums; He needs extremely little sleep to function {8 hours--the doctor called him a freak of nature}; He has an extreme ability to remember {he'll play rush hour with me once, memorize the moves and then do the puzzle on his own}; He is an extremely picky eater; He is extremely stubborn; He is extremely loving {almost to the point you need a restraining order, "hug, now kiss, now squeeze, now hug again, okay one more kiss."}True to his personality he had to get his fingers just right before he would allow me to take a picture of his three.To celebrate his birthday we went to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Grandma Jolene gave them a ride on the Elephant. The kids thought it was incredible. Bryan thought his tail bone was broken.The forecast for the day said zero percent chance of rain. I swear I could be a meteorologist. It poured half way through the day, leaving the boys shivering and wet. We went home, leaving the tougher Larsen's. Makayla kept saying how sad it was that Caden missed his own birthday party. Caden's {and Bumpa's} actual birthday was Memorial Day. We went to Green Valley for the Memorial Day service. I stood there holding my shaking baby while the military men fired shots and was filled with gratitude that we live in a country where my children do not have to understand fear on a daily basis. I am so, so thankful for the men and women who serve our country.I rolled out of bed, brushed my hair, and ran to get the kids to the service in time. 10 minutes flat--you're impressed, I know you are! Good thing I looked super hot because I had my big shinning moment--This picture was in the Mountain Democrat paper. Thank heavens for sunglasses!That night we celebrate Bumpa and Caden's birthdays. Once again let me thank my father in law for blessing me with the gift of going a week over due so that they could share a birthday. You are a gem. :) But really, I am glad it worked out that way; It's special and will only continue to be more special as Caden understands that he shares the day with his grandpa. When we were driving home that night he says, "Okay, my birthday's done so now it can be Bumpa's birthday."

Bryan came up with the genius idea of getting Caden a nerf gun. I've regretted every moment since I conceded.





Caden had a great {week long} celebration. Thanks to everyone who made him feel so special--he even got a birthday skype from his cute future wife Ella in NYC. He ended his b-day clutching his birthday balloons.

4 comments:

kristen said...

happy birthday caden! hahaha... i'm dying over the picture of YOU GUYS dying at six flags. and that last picture is totally sophie. she holds onto balloons until they shrivel up and die. wow i said die a lot.

Ledebuhr Family said...

Happy birthday Caden! My personal favorite is the hold-up on Grandma. The kid is hilarious!

Lesley said...

laughing my head off, here. I'm so grateful for blogs, cause when I read your posts it's almost like I'm talking to you, Ash! Almost :)

And you totally had to one-up Ella's camel ride with a ride on an elephant. Whatever.

I'm going to scour eBay for a copy of that Memorial Day newspaper :)

Sorry about the nerf gun :) You guys are hilarious.

We must skype again soon!

Megan said...

Wow...so EASILY I was forgotten. I mean...I was the water-proof glue that held caden's water party together that day. BUT am I mentioned? Nope. Oh how that hurts!