Sunday, April 03, 2011

I always find myself getting emotional as I pack away my boys clothes that they've out grown. It's a time when I cannot deny that they are changing, getting bigger, growing up. Time is moving forward and I can't stop it no matter how much I'd like to. This is the one story in my life that I choose to enjoy each page instead of skipping straight to the end to see what happens. Today I'm just filled with gratitude for my babies, for their perfect smiles and contagious little giggles, for their big blue eyes that reflect their curiosity, for their ever positive dispositions, and for their ability to love and forgive instantly. We were having a big family game night, and somehow my niece got the impression that I was pregnant. I laughed, and told her not yet. In all her 7 year old wisdom she nonchalantly replied, "Why would you have another one when you can't even control the ones you've got." Hilarious, right?!? But I've thought about that. A lot, actually. Not because of my niece, but because of the world around me. Many responses have run through my head. Oh, control...that's such a relative term. Some mom's believe that control means their children are in a straight line, saluting her the second they are called for; others lean more towards it meaning children are still breathing at the end of the day. I've thought about explaining how Caden is a handful and how I'll probably always be grasping straws to "control" him. I've thought about how I feel the need to have my kids close together because I fear that someday that blessing could just be taken away from me. I've thought about what a difference it makes in a family having male children, compared to female. My boys believe they are a part of circus act flying from the couch tops to the lovesac, and yes, that makes them a bit hard to control. I've thought about how parenting children of any age is never just going to be easy. And yes, I have thought about the very real possibility that I am just plain crazy for thinking about having another kid. After all these thoughts the bottom line is that I would and want to have another baby because my kids bring me more joy than anything else in this life. My world is my family. My calling is motherhood. When I feel another little spirit knocking to come down I'm not going to tell them to hold on til I get their siblings "under control" because that very well could mean they'd be waiting until Caden's on a mission. ANYWAY, Megan was here visiting. We had a blast. She got a camera for her birthday, and it was so nice to have a night at the park documented without me having to do a thing.



Caden kept all of us laughing. He loves to spin, so Wes put him on here for the first time and he wobbled around like a drunken sailor. He even ran into a wall; his response: that's pretty funny. We had like 20 different videos, but this was the only one short enough for blogger. I love it because its so true to his personality. If you fall off just get back on and try again. He's persistent.

12 comments:

The Boeckmann's said...

We must have both been in "reflecting on our family" modes today! My post talks about having more babies too! I want to, but need to wait for space and finance reasons...But if I am "real" with myself, even if we were to get pregnant unplanned, it would be fine! That is the thing about families. They aren't perfect, but they are the greatest gift that God has given us. No matter how and when they are put together! You think things are wild and crazy at your house. My mother-in-law had 6 boys all around a year a part! That was a crazy house! And somehow every one of those boys grew up to be great men and they all still have 10 fingers and 10 toes! Which really is beyond me after the stories I have been told! Have a great week :-)

Tabitha said...

Great post Ashley! How I can relate with only one boy. I want a tribe of boys, I love the craziness!!!

Heather Dayton said...

I feel the exact same way about wanting to stop time and I hate packing away clothes too! I bet that was so nice to have a picture-taking break! I need to find someone to do that for me... :)

adam and andrea said...

Good reminder for me to know that in order for life to be perfect, it doesn't have to be under control! : ) How boring would things be if everything was in control anyway?!

Love the video of Caden...all I need to do is watch him to know what Brady will be up to in about a year. It scares me.

gbrooks said...

Like me, you probably especially loved the Conference talk about being versus doing. We all parent different, all of our children are different and behave differently, but in the end it's who they BECOME.

Anonymous said...

your posts always inspire me Ashley. I so much want another one--but, I am very selfish with my body and hated pregnancy with a passion and never want to be pregnant again...kinda hard to have babies if i hate pregnancy huh?! you made me step back and think its not about being selfish, and its how I adjust my lifestyle and relize that pregnancy and kids are a mircle in itself, and how bad I want another one!!
Thanks for reminding me its the little things in life that make us perfect, not the big things!!

Kristina said...

How is it I hardly know you, yet I feel like I know you really well? Well, I loved your post. I think it is so easy for others (and sometimes us) to think of the more proper way to 'control' our children. But the truth is, we are doing the very best we can. My kids are insane! And I agree, there is a difference in having males than females. But I take comfort in knowing that I'm doing my best with what I have. That my children are nurtured and loved. So what if my house is a complete disaster and the neighbor (who has 2 girls) gives me strange looks? This is the wonderful work! So, I say you're far from crazy in wanting to add more to your circus act! The more the merrier, right?

Hawkins Family said...

What was your major in school Ashley? You are such a great writer. Really! You always put things so perfectly. I am glad you are all doing so well.

The Gilberts said...

What a nice post. I too think control is totally relative and we can't possibly adopt other people's definitions. We have to find our own balance.

Jolene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jolene said...

For a grandma that loves to be a grandma...your kids are darling and we will look forward to everyone that comes our way. :))

Chels said...

Love your post!! And I couldn't agree more! Yep things aren't always in "control" but we have fun and neither of us could imagine not having even 1 of our 4 boys! (They made mud worm stew out side today! lol) And we hope for more little ones! I think I will cry a long time the day I have to put away baby things knowing that I probably won't be pulling them out again soon.
How blessed we are to have the Gospel and the for strength and guidance we can receive from prayer and to know that we can be forever families!!