Up. Down. Up. Down. Hanging Stagnant. Stuck. Jerked Up. Down. Up. Down. Looped.
Bryan is about to graduate law school and this is the perfect explanation of the past 3 years. I'm pretty positive the reason that I have felt this yo-yo effect is because I'm obsessive. In the past three years our dreams and goals for life have changed drastically and continuously. Truly, they have been ALL over the map. As an obsess-er, I don't just think about our future, I live it. With each job application I have mentally moved to each town, unpacked, and started my life. I've gotten to know the people, and embraced living in each very unique location. For the longest time I lived in Northern California surrounded by extended family. That changed. Why? I don't even know. Then for a year long clerkship I lived in a fishing town, right off the ocean {Ketchikan, Alaska} where I got to wear those cute rain boots since it pours most of the year there. I've raised my kids in Dallas, Texas where the school systems were incredible, my husband was a big wig litigator, and we owned a 5,000 sq. foot house in an adorable neighborhood among the most hospitable people. When this didn't work out, with tears in my eyes, I packed my bags and headed to North Carolina and my beautiful wrap around porch. For awhile I was an Airforce wife, as Bryan was in the JAG program. The Summerlin area in Vegas has also been home with it's awesome parks, running paths, and year round sun. My kids went to The Meadows and I paid $15,000 a year for them to wear plaid and go to kindergarten. I've stayed in Utah with my amazing anesthesiologist, had 12 kids that I could actually take out in public, my husband worked for a growing firm in Provo, we went to all the BYU sporting events, and stayed near our friends. I have even lived in a van down by the river.
This is my Yo-Yo Effect. We had dreams starting out. Then the market crashed half way through law school and since we have altered these dreams. We've sent out hundreds and hundreds of applications. My heart and my moving truck followed each application. We've been blessed with jobs, and we've had rejections. Things have felt right, and then they've felt wrong. Many hours have been spent on our knees.
Bryan graduates next Thursday and things are finally starting to fall into place. At this moment I feel like my yo-yo has finally been put down. {Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying that.} Either way, along this journey I have been humbled and learned to place my faith in my Savior. His plan for us is better than anything we could have dreamed up ourselves. It might not have always been the easiest path, but I know it is the right one. As I press forward I'm sure my Yo-Yo will be picked up again for some other reason; I'm grateful to have this faith building experience to look back on for courage.
And can I just say, how unbelievable proud I am of my husband. As I'm writing this he is going on his 12th hour at school studying for his last finals. He has been so dedicated and determined and full of hope; I love him for that.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Bryan Phipps, JD. We are so proud of you! I'm right there with ya Ash. I mentally move to every single place we talk about. Kind of fun planning your dreams though right? Even if they do change...
We need a phone chat. I need to know where to find you next year.
I just love both of you guys...and refuse to wrap my head around you guys leaving. :( I won't know what I will do when I can't just stop by whenever to talk to you and bry, have Caden run towards me to give me the biggest hug, and Parker to look at me and start crying! I won't do it!!
So where are you off to? We need to get together before you leave!! Maybe a 24 night? Megan? up for babysitting?
Congrats Bryan! So very exciting to finally be done! And Ashley, I LOVE your writing, I can totally see you in each of those locations with your vivid descriptions:) Good luck with everything!
You know my vote... NORTHERN CALIFORNIA!!! Max needs buddies since Tami has no more little boys for him to play with!
what a good experience all around though, I can totally visions each description in your story, so awesome! you should be a writer ;)
take care in whatever you guys find and do, you are right, the lord will carry you for whatever is meant to be. So thankful for the great man in your life and the 2 boys youve been granted with...
I think what stood out to me most was the part about you having 12 kids. Ah! :)
I've been there. Trust me. We have moved 6 times in the 3 short years we have been married. Life is crazy. It will settle down, and you will go where you are meant to go. Good luck!
well said Ashley, rather poetic for an MFHD major haha. Best of luck in life, you two are quite the inspiriation for someone as young and impressionable as myself haha.
Wow. You said that perfect. We have felt the same during our law school years but it always seems that life turns out better than what we visualized so I'm grateful for that. Good luck in the future and we'll see ya there soon!
I definitely couldn't have said it better myself! Good luck to you guys! I'm so glad we have blogs to stay in touch as we all move away. We've enjoyed your friendship!
I loved reading this Ashley, seriously that is so what I think "we" do as women...it's just part of us...I'm so excited to find out where you wind up winding up!!
Ashley, you and Bryan have surely been through a lot. Not only have you survived, but you have thrived, so good for you! We think about you all the time and are looking out for you where we can. Just last night at dinner with our friends for Cinco de Mayo we spread Bryan's name to some lawyer friends here in Vegas and Keith plans to follow up on it. You'll go where you need to go, that I know. We can't wait to find out where that is.
Post a Comment