Monday, March 01, 2010

Normally when someone asks me how I'm liking being a mother of two I would respond, without hesitation, that I love it. Today if someone asked me I would have probably said I'd wish I had my tubes tied when I got married.

Sweet, sweet Caden has been on the terror.

My day started at 5:25 AM, because of Caden, not Parker.

The early start was followed by the loss of a full bottle of conditioner, a few ounces of my Bare Minerals, and a DVD. Don't ask. He took a bit out of every apple in the bowl on the kitchen table. Then proceeded to walk around holding one. I thought he was eating it, but actually, he hates the sour taste of green apples, so he was spitting his baby bites out all over my freshly cleaned floor. AHHHHH.

I was attacked by a pocket knife. Yes, the little devil figured out how to get the blade out. Never been so scared, panicked, shocked in all of parentdom. (Bryan put it on the kitchen counter thinking that was a safe place. Apparently Caden, in his 2 feet of glory, has learned how to climb onto the kitchen counters. Later in the day he tried to displayed his true athleticism by doing a pull up to get there. The mean mom stopped his feat.)

We also took 2 baths (it's only 3 o'clock). One due to Caden's sneaking into the bathroom and sticking his hand in the toilet to give himself a new hair do. OH MY GOSH.

I took him outside hoping he would run off some energy. The first thing he does is pick up a stick and run at a car. I believe we were outside for a total of 4 minutes.

This has officially been the longest day of my life. And these were just the bad things. He also made a huge mess while "creating" with his play dough, accidentally spilt his milk at lunch, turned off the DVR so my Gilmore Girls didn't record, etc.

I'm writing this and thinking, I am a good mom, dang it. How did this day happen?!?! I have raised him to be better than this! I think I've counted to 3 four million times, and doled out about 20 timeouts. And I swear he has done all this while my back has been turned for MAYBE 1 minute. I mean, I do have to at least feed and change Parker. I'm always in the same vicinity as him. I'm convinced that he is the most mischievous, sneaky little boy on the planet.

He's in his room now taking a "nap." Did I mention that there is a rope from his door to the banister so that he can't escape?

And the worst part...I was left without a single Diet Coke in the house this morning.

18 comments:

Someone that Matters (Bryan) said...

I think he needs a stronger father-figure!

Matt 'n Erin said...

You're an awesome Mom! Don't question it! He's just too much like his dad :)

I made you a headband this weekend. Will you e-mail me your address? erin.cope@yahoo.com

Better luck tomorrow!

PS. After this post...Liam will be my only child :)

Staci... said...

Oh My!! What a day! I love hearing that I am not the only one who has crazy days like this!! A post will be coming soon to show you I feel you!! Hopefully tomorrow will start off better!

Lesley said...

Okay, wetting my pants here. Kyle and I really needed that little moment of laughter. Thanks so much.

And sorry I'm not a better friend. I should have sensed the need and come over to rescue from the pocket-knife wielding, apple-spitting, conditioner-wasting little terror. So sorry about that. He's sure the cutest little guy, though, isn't he?

Shara said...

hhahaha Ash that is quite a day, but believe me honey you are a GREAT mom and not alone in the "what the heck am I doing" thought randomly. Call me anytime and we can let them terrorize together :)

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley said...

Oh Ash!! I am so sorry! What a hard day! You are a great mom. And no mom deserves to be with out Diet coke. Make your hubby go get you some!

Larsen Family said...

Should have traded him for Evan when you had the chance:) The best way to get over a "bad" day is to go and look at him while he is asleep...I promise it will melt heart...even the sneakiest of devils turn into little angels while they sleep...

Anonymous said...

LOL, oh that cracks me up, I can just see such a cute little boy doing all this stuff, too funny! These are just days to remind you that he really is a good boy, but needs to go crazy somedays..

*katie said...

Oh Ashley, I feel your pain. Little boys are mischievous little sneaks and regardless of how well you teach them, they will figure out how to do every possible naughty thing just to tick you off!! In case you couldn't tell, I totally speak from experience. :)

Kelly and Heather said...

Haha!! I'm so sorry Ashley sounds like you had a rough day with your cute cute little guy! Sure made me laugh though.

kristen said...

oh ash, i think we have completely different "parenting experiences" with girls vs. boys. he is crazy! so although i can't say i know what little boys are like, i have definitely had a good share of those days myself! i wish i could be closer so we could go through them together!

Melissa said...

I really needed that. :) Thanks for sharing, apparently the Madilynn and Lily duo isn't the most difficult thing around- it comes in one little package! Hopefully he pulls out of it soon!

Jolene said...

I am laughing so hard I can't write. Time has a way of helping you remember the good things in life... Then I read your blog today and remember stuff like I'm living your day. I just can't spot laughing. Hang in there.

Paul said...

I can remember days like that with "Someone that Matters". I knew the day would come when I could laugh.

Linds said...

One of "those" days! I feel ya!

Sheila said...

ROTF!!! Oh my gosh, I am seriously SOOO SORRY that I am laughing so hard at your horrible day Ashley! Holy cow, I can totally relate and I promise you tomorrow will better (I think...and if not, at least tonight when he is sleeping...it will be better!!!) Remember positive praise is a good thing...DIG DEEP to find something positive!! LOL!! He's just struggling b/c he's not numero uno anymore and he's trying to push your buttons to get you to notice him...think it's working!?! Hahahaaa! Seriously, you're a great mom, boys are just terds sometimes!!! (only talking about my own of course!)

AND NO DIET COKE!??! What the??
SO sorry.

Amy said...

HeHeHe welcome to the club. This, my friend, is why my children are 3 years apart. However, think of this. At this point I have signed up for approximately 10 years of seminary driving. If you survive this stage, you will have less years of getting up at 5 am when they're teenagers!!!!

Oh, and Caden is not bad. He's just developmentally advanced and creative. See. You are a good mom:)

benandkiki said...

Oh man, sorry! Sounds like you had one heck of a day. It's days like that that it is a good thing kids come so cute. It can be their saving grace.