Wednesday, August 27, 2008

...the treasure you are.

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.
Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart.
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow.
Let me hold you while I may, for it will not always be so.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky, and want, more than all the world, your return.
-Mary Jean Irion

My normal days with Caden are such a treasure. We were driving down University Parkway to go pick up prescriptions at my old work and I literally had tears of joy fill my eyes. I am so grateful to be at home, to be able to watch him learn new things every day, and to be learning things from him everyday. His new things lately are: spitting when he's mad, hanging on for dear life to his toys and shaking them, kicking like crazy in his bath, and staring intently at books. I went to this book show with some of the girls from our ward and I'm quite excited to get the things I ordered because Caden cuddles when he can stare at books. Plus the books, Usborne, are just plain sweet.

We have been spending lots of time with just the two of us seeing as though my expectations of Bryan being a 2L were completely wrong--shouldn't be surprised there. It tends to happen quite frequently. His 2L year is proving to be far busier than his 1L year; He got a great clerking position with a firm here in Provo so with that, on top of the many interviews that 2L's have and school itself, we haven't been seeing much of him. Not complaining though. All those things that are keeping him away are definitely good things.

I've been staying very busy reorganizing every inch of our house. I've deep cleaned everything and gotten rid of all the junk from my pack rat days. (Which was very extensive considering my pack rat days ended yesterday.) I've also been trying to get some sort of food storage started. I'm finding it kind of difficult though because I'm such a picky eater. AND...I totally do not get this. We go into the emergency food supply store and they have all these buckets of WHEAT. Uhm...if I am in need of actually using my food storage do you really think that I am going to mash...grind...whatever...up the wheat to get flour to then make bread with?!?! I'm pretty sure that is not happening folks. Plus if it's that destitute of circumstances do you really think we will have electricity to bake that stuff? Bryan's answer to this was dutch oven. Uh, last time I checked we do not own one buddy. So with that said, does anyone have any advice on good things to buy for food storage--that are actually realistic for someone who is no baking diva?!?

I've digressed. Back to my point. I am really so grateful for the treasure of normal days.

6 comments:

Jen R. said...

The food storage dried apples are delicious!!!! Everytime my mom bought those for food storage I'd eat them.

Jen R. said...

And the rest of the blog is so cute too!

Linds said...

We've been going through the same thing...Brian is researching wheat grinders now...But a great way to start is to get a 3 month supply of things you normally eat. For us, it's things like ramen, mac and cheese, canned chicken, crackers, canned veggies, etc. Things that you always have extra of on hand but that are easy to rotate and keep fresh because you already eat them. Then, you can start buying the bulk that you might use in case of serious emergency!

selway2005 said...

Yay...you're back! we should get together when Bryan is away and you get bored and we'll share parenting advice, etc.

Larsen Family said...

Our food storage is called rambo

Janelle said...

Oh, ashley...I miss you! Seriously, this post made me really miss you and be so grateful I know you. You are just so great! I'm so glad you're enjoying the day-to-day joys of being a mom. I also am doing the same thing with our home in de-junking and organizing...it leaves such a fulfilling feeling, doesn't it??