Friday, February 11, 2011

A New Place to Call Home.

It's been 6 months since we moved to California. What an adventure it has been. I live in the country. I own 3 goats, 4 chickens {yeah...one was a rooster that had to go, and another got eaten...}, and some ugly black muck boots. I haven't been to the mall in 2 months. My closest neighbor is a horse, and when I look outside at night I can see every star in the sky.

I wish I could say that every moment of this transition has been an easy one, but that would be a lie. I'm human; Though we always try to focus on the positive, there have been some ups and downs. There were days that I sat at home and cried because I missed Utah, our old friends, and especially my family there. I missed stupid little things like the mountains, BYU environment, and my well-known running trials. I missed the restaurants, all the LDS billboards, and Tai Pan Trading. I missed my ward with 40 other woman going through the same trials of motherhood, and I missed driving up the Provo Canyon. I missed Temple Square, dry heat, sporting events, and running into people at our townhouse parking lot.

There were days that I just so desperately wanted this new place to feel like home. It's a simple thing but I missed that security.

Awhile back while I was driving down the good old country road to our circular driveway, the feeling that I'd been praying months for finally came. This is home. I'm so blessed to be here. I'm so grateful to be here. Surrounded by such an incredible family, with the hope to make some wonderful friends, and raise my boys in a unique, beautiful place is an adventure that finally feels like home. I really can say that Heavenly Father has been with us and is watching over us. We truly are so blessed.Our chickens gave us our first two eggs. Caden dropped them right after this picture, but I'm sure they would have been delicious {in cookies or bread, of course}. My favorite chicken, snow sniper, turned out to be a rooster. His 5 am cock-a-doodle-doing was my first clue. I wanted strangle him myself. This farm girl didn't really think through what it meant to have to "get rid of" a rooster. Bryan took care of him on garbage day. I did not participate. The chickens got a new bright red coop. It's about as cute as a coop can be. The goats weren't sure what to think about it.
The weather has been absolutely beautiful here. How could I be homesick when it's 75 degrees and I'm at the park with my boys and sister in law every day?!?{This is from the beginning of January. I swear we are not Dub-T who still have their Christmas lights up!}And nothing, absolutely nothing, is more beautiful than the country sunsets. If you'll let them, they really will take your breath away.


And I can finally call all this home. :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

so awesome Ashley, glad it finally feels like home! with lots of moves its hard to get used to having a home, but glad its settled in for you. the last picture is amazing, such wonderful colors in the sky! I have to say living in the city now, I really DO miss the country. Everytime I make a trip to mom in dads, I really enjoy it, just to be out away from town and quietness is wonderful, and to be able to walk out a backdoor and see miles of woods, its the best thing ever!

Bridget said...

It looks so nice Ashley. Def jealous of the 75 degree weather. We just had another snow blizzard today here in MN. I can't wait for our 75 degree days...only about 4 months (hopefully sooner)...

Jolene said...

I been praying for you to have that feeling too. Not that I selfishly want your family here, (I love that), but that I want you to be happy. And it's okay if something changes, but I'm happy this is feeling like home. It's the stars that get me every time. I just have to stop and stare.

*katie said...

WOW! That sunset sky is AMAZING! I totally understand needing and wanting a place to feel like home...so glad that it finally feels that way! I'm such a home body and not one that likes change...hence the 1/2 mile move to our new house. :)

Lora said...

I love that sunset picture! Very cool! What settings did you use? I'm glad that there's no place like home.

gbrooks said...

There is a Tai Pan Trading & a Cafe Rio down here in Orange County and since we're much closer of a drive, you should come down and visit!

Megan said...

Let me tell Ash...if you came back to the condo...it wouldn't feel like home anymore. Not just because my bed is now in your old room but because we always want to remember the good. Glad you can finally call it home because I sure miss it!! :)

Dustin and Nicki said...

Ashley!! I'm so glad you caught up on my blog so then I had to catch up on yours! I have to tell you I LOVE your blog. I show it to my husband all the time and all of fun things you do, etc. Just so you know....you are very funny! But I'm glad you know Carter. He'll be a great addition to the family! And anything you want to share about him we'll gladly listen:)

Lesley said...

love this, Ash. We know that when you talk about missing friends in Utah, you mean us. Right? RIGHT?!

We miss you like crazy, but couldn't be happier for you that things are going well.

Fancy a BFF meet-up midway between NYC and your place? Like in Kansas or something?

Lesley said...

I just noticed that you wrote OLD friends. Since you've moved on, forget about Kansas.

It was fun while it lasted :)

John & Lora said...

Why only in bread and cookies?

Sherry H said...

I'm with John, why only in bread and cookies. You haven't tasted an egg until you've had a fresh egg fried or in an omelet, oh yes!