Friday, August 27, 2010

Confessions of a Counterfeit Country Girl

Lots of big and exciting changes have been happening in the Phipps family. We survived the last month of being apart {never again!}, the Bar, 2 surgerys, packing, my little sisters wedding, and driving a moving truck to our new home.

Bryan started work at his firm {YAY!}, 4 weeks later the rest of us moved to sunny California to join him. We now live in a home on five beautiful acres. I have wild turkey's running crazy in my backyard. Horses are my closest neighbor. I have already had close encounters with a lizard, a frog, and a shaggy looking dog. I have a big red tire swing in my front yard, a orchard on the side of my house, and though I don't know a soul in my "neighborhood" they all wave and smile like we've been friends for years. My life now could not get much different from any life I have ever known, but I plan to fully embrace it. I want a garden, pygmy goats, and maybe even a pig and chickens...we'll see. Don't plan on ever seeing me on a tractor though. Mostly because I'm sure no one would trust me on one.
The beauty of all this is that my boys have 5 acres to run on, to learn to work on, and to some extent be safegaurded from the crazy things of this world. It allows me to be a counterfeit country girl: one who feeds her animals and then hops on the freeway for a 15 minute drive to shopping. It doesn't get much better than that!

It's a new adventure! And I plan to keep you posted on all of it!

20 comments:

BRooKe said...

That picture of your two boys is darling and says it all! I can only imagine what they will do on five acres! You better keep me posted... I will love to hear about your transformation into a country girl!

adam and andrea said...

ummm...a pig?! I wouldn't even know the first thing to do with a pig! : ) Thankfully you're only 15 minutes away from shopping!! I can't wait to see you chasing a pig and two crazy boys around!! You made it through a crazy summer!!! Can't wait to catch up - thinking of you guys lots!!

adam and andrea said...

and I'm dying at Parker in the bucket, that is the cutest picture ever!!!

Ledebuhr Family said...

How fun! I thought I'd go crazy in the country but you're right - there's something about being able to protect your kids from the unknown out here and teach them about the outdoors. :) Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Amy said...

We're glad you're here!!!!! Maybe if we both have some more boys there will actually be a scout program in the ward:)

*katie said...

So fun!! What an awesome adventure to be starting:)

Megan said...

I miss you guys :( sniff sniff

Sheila said...

Hey!! You sound so great and it makes me excited/jealous that your kids will be raised how I was raised and how MY boys will never be raised. I married a suburban man who told me when we first went to my parent's house in Camino, "We'll never live here." So...here's to me living vicariously through you! I'm so excited for your future as a country girl!!!...and for all of the 'exploring' your kids will do!!!!

gbrooks said...

Congratulations on surviving! Enjoy the adventure, hopefully our paths will cross again soon!

Anonymous said...

Too cute. thats how I was raised and LOVED, absolutely loved every minute of it. Nothing better then skinny dipping in the backyard pool, just because you can-no one can see you! (which hopefully your boys wont do for a long time!!)
Sounds like fun, glad to know there is countryside in California, I always think of the busy hectic go-go city, never knew there was a quite side of the state!
Enjoy, you may never wanna go back! Have fun!

grams grewe said...

Welcome to Shingle Springs. I knew Kay Dunham Evers, the lady who, with her hubby, built your house. Hope you are happy there.

Sherry H said...

Glad you're here, start with the chickens, trust me.

Sherry H said...

Sherry H stands for Sherry Hulbert, just in case you didn't know.

Jolene said...

Its nice being close to stores...they came up the hill. But after a few years of taking care of propery you're all country And a neighboor I'm so lucky

J.Phipps said...

Parker trust his older bro waaaay too much

Hawkins Family said...

That's so exciting you guys! I can't wait to hear about all your upcoming adventures!

Linds said...

That is awesome! I want some land too. Love the picture!

Ms. Green Eyes said...

What a dream! Where in CA are you living now?

Tara : Damon : Ellis : Hudson said...

Wow Ashley! I love your 5 acres of homeland!!! I'm so so so jealous, I can't wait till we can get a home on property and let our kids run loose and get chickens and goats... In the meantime I'll live vicariously...
t

Janelle said...

Good to know where you are now! I hope your adventure is a good one, but don't be afraid to not like it sometimes. Sometimes life is just hard, but you can get through it. I'm glad Bryan has a job and you are keeping up such a great attitude, like always!