Sunday, May 09, 2010

Happy Mothers Day.

I have always thought of my mom as my best friend (and twin), but it wasn't until I became a mother myself that I more fully understood and loved her for all she did for me. She has always been my example of selflessness in motherhood, eternal patience, and loving each child unconditionally. I love her for the hours she spent helping me organize stuffed animals on my bed to protect me from the monsters, for taking me to dance lessons every day of the week, for letting me go to mutual with her before I was even old enough, for not only cheering me on in school, but also being a vital part of my success, for driving me the 24 hours to Utah so I could start BYU, for always just being a phone call away, and for making me a better mother. For these things, and so many more I love her!When I got married I was blessed with another wonderful mother and example in my life. Obviously I think Jolene is a fantastic mother because I love the man she raised and am eternally grateful to her for him!! She is an example to me of many things but some that really stick out are teaching in the moment, keeping persepective, & having a life centered in your family. I love to laugh with her and am so grateful she is my mother-in-law and a grandmother to my children.
This is one of my favorite journal entries on being a mother:
Whenever things get hard around me I try to focus on the blessings in my life, on the many, many things that I have to be thankful for. Everyday, always, I am grateful to be a mother. I love my little boys more than my words have power to say. I found out that an old friend lost his little boy just weeks after he was born. My heart aches, in the deepest way, for him and his wife. Tonight I had to spend extra time just squeezing my boys and feeling grateful for every second I am blessed with to be their mother. I spent an extra long time just smiling with Parker. He gets so excited that he shakes from smiling so hard. It's adorable. It's my Parker. Bryan was at scuba class so Caden and I stayed up extra late watching Imagination Movers and eating colored goldfish. As soon as his show ended he yelled, "Again, please, now!" When I finally made him head to bed I laid next to him giving him ticklies, just like my mom used to do for me every night. (My mom was a saint, she spent so much time with us each night singing, tickling, and delivering drinks of water.) I'd tickle his face. When I'd stop he'd say, "arm," and hold it out for me to tickle. "Again, again." I think the ticklies were a big hit. I adore my boys. I cherish the simple moments with them. I thank my Father in Heaven for each of those simple moments we are blessed to share, and pray that there will be a life time full of them.
And lastly, Happy Mother's Day to all my incredible friends who are mothers. I am grateful for your example and encouragement as we go through similar experiences together. xoxo.

5 comments:

J.Phipps said...

What a beautiful post. You always leaving me smiling. Thanks for the pictures, all of them, and the generous thoughts. Happy Mothers Day!

J.Phipps said...

That last post was from, me, Jolene, really

Sheila said...

I love you Ash--people who know you are seriously lucky. I'm glad to have gotten to "know" you better being blog buds--I think you're super special.

adam and andrea said...

Happy Mother's Day!! So grateful to have our friendship! Love you!

Ledebuhr Family said...

Glenda the good mama! I'm writing everyone to let you know I changed my web address to:


ledebuhrs.blogspot.com


Easier to remember and find us! :)